Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Topic for Blog 2

Hi everyone,
For my second blog, I have chosen the topic of psychology of volunteerism, looking primarily at research conducted by Clary and Snyder. I myself have given much consideration to becoming a volunteer, maybe something like helping out at the Salvo's or St Vinnie's. I would find working for the RSPCA especially rewarding, due to my interest in and love for all kinds of animals. I am eager to find out the main reasons people choose to take up volunteer work that Clary and Snyder have uncovered.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Hi Bec,

Sounds like a very interesting topic. During my time in high school, I volunteered for a number of different charities (i.e. The Red Cross and The Cancer Council) as well as a school based social action group, which focused on all sorts of issues in society, including poverty. I volunteered in these groups because I genuinely wanted to lend any assistance I could to people in need and to help make a difference, even if it was small. Having said that, while I wanted to help others, I also gained something out of volunteering. I found that volunteerting boosted my self-esteem and feelings of self-worth. Everytime I attended a group meeting or engaged in a fundraising activity, I felt better about myself. I'm looking forward to reading your second blog on volunteerism. Good luck with it :)

James Neill said...

I've added an incomplete list of Clary and Synder articles on volunteerism. If you login you can edit this list too if you like.

Monique said...

Hi Bec,

To me volunteering is about helping others because making them feel good, makes you feel good. So in a way this is altruistic helping as I would not expect anything in return however, I would get something, in that I would feel good about myself.